Menu & Search

In April 2009 *Susan* attended her local hospital in the midlands for surgery to repair a hiatus hernia. The surgery itself was uneventful and she awoke from general anaesthetic as expected. Susan was then transferred to a ward, where she did not have any form of hand-over or orientation.

The following morning Susan was in a lot of pain and was prescribed morphine tablets. A short while after taking this Susan began to feel nauseous and had a sudden urge to use the toilet. Susan called for a nurse who told her to wait a minute before going away and not returning.

As Susan was desperate to use the toilet she got out of bed and walked across her room to the toilet. She made her way into the toilet cubicle before fainting. When she regained consciousness she was lying on the floor of the bathroom and had a considerable pain in her ankle.

A nurse then came into the bathroom and found Susan on the floor she was helped back to bed before being sent for an x-ray of her ankle. It was confirmed that Susan had fractured her ankle in a number of places and required surgery to fix the fracture, this was carried out the same day and Susan remained in hospital for a further ten days following surgery.

Susan remained non-weight bearing and in a wheelchair for a total of four weeks and in plaster until June 2009. Susan commenced physiotherapy in July 2009 but continues to have difficulties walking and to have pain in her ankle, especially in cold or damp weather.

In April 2009 Susan contacted Anna Renfree, a specialist clinical negligence solicitor at Pryers Solicitors. Investigations were made into her case and expert evidence was obtained from a care expert on Susan’s mobility difficulties and care needs.

Allegations of the Defendant’s breach of their duty of care were put to the Defendant and this was admitted. Further evidence was then obtained from a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon regarding Susan’s current condition and prognosis. This allowed for detailed valuation of the claim and negotiations to settle commenced.

An offer to settle the case for £12,000 was made by Susan, which was rejected, but after some negotiation Susan was happy to settle the case for £11,000 plus all of her legal costs so she kept 100% of her compensation.

Start Your Claim Today Call 01904 556600
Tell us about your case

Just send us a little bit about yourself and your claim and we will respond within 24 hours.

Get In Touch
Latest News

Local Fire Crews Recruited to Help Deal With Growing NHS Demands

The Worcestershire Acute Hospital Trust has agreed on plans to draft in fire crews to take patients home in a bid to prevent overcrowding […]

Read More

NHS Cancer Treatment Waiting Times Worst on Record

Over halfway through the year, new figures show that 133,843 cancer patients have not been treated within the relevant standards. NHS cancer treatment waiting […]

Read More

Diabetes Prescriptions Cost the NHS More than £1bn A Year

Diabetes prescriptions are costing the NHS in England more than £1 billion a year, according to new figures from NHS Digital, up by almost […]

Read More

Take a look back through our complete news archive

Follow us on Twitter

Have you suffered an injury as the result of a defective implant? Here at Pryers Solicitors, we know that things don't always go as planned - and we want to help. Speak to one of our friendly advisors and learn more now

We are recruiting for some new roles now available at Pryers. This is an exciting opportunity to join our team and play a key part in shaping the future of our firm. Apply here now

Load More...