A boy who died from chronic asthma could have been saved, a coroner has ruled.
Nine-year old Michael Uriely died from an Asthma attack, just days after being sent home from hospital.
The little boy, from St John’s Wood, north-west London, had been seen on numerous occasions by several doctors, including an NHS GP and a private paediatrician, in the months before his death.
None of the medical professionals he saw diagnosed him with asthma, meaning they failed to refer him for the specialist care he needed.
The coroner, Shirley Radcliffe, said that had the Royal Free Hospital in London kept him in for treatment, rather than sending him home, he may have survived.
Since Michael’s death in August 2015, seven other children have died from asthma in London. She concluded at Westminster coroner’s court by making a national recommendation to prevent similar deaths in the future.
The inquest heard from Richard Iles, an expert in paediatric respiration, who said Michael’s death was preventable. He continued to say that months earlier there were signs his care plan wasn’t working and he should have been referred to a specialist.
On August 18 2015 Michael’s parents, Ayelet and Roy, took him to the Royal Free Hospital after he suffered a violent coughing and vomiting fit, which left him struggling to breathe. Doctors discharged him the same day.
The following day his parents rushed him to A&E after he suffered another severe attack that morning. He was kept in overnight and discharged the following day.
The coroner ruled that Michael died from an acute asthma attack.
Mrs Uriely said before the inquest: “Michael was an extraordinary boy, both in personality and intelligence, who came to us after four gruelling years of fertility treatment. He doted on his younger twin sisters, who adored him, and always joined in with their games. Now we would just like answers as to why he died.”
The coroner said: “The opportunity was lost to recognise this as a serious problem – the history and signs were there to be seen and understood. But sadly, it wasn’t recognised and he was discharged essentially on the same treatment he had been on.”